California Mosque Shooting: Three killed as teen gunmen open fire before dying by suicide
Babushahi Bureau
California (US), May 20, 2026: A deadly shooting at a mosque in San Diego left three men dead after two teenage gunmen opened fire inside the Islamic Center of San Diego in what authorities are investigating as a possible hate crime.
According to police, the two suspects — aged 17 and 18 — carried out the attack on Monday before later dying by suicide a few blocks away from the mosque. Investigators said there had been no direct threat made against the mosque prior to the incident, but evidence recovered so far points toward “generalized hate rhetoric” linked to the attackers.
Police officers had already been searching for one of the teenagers before the shooting took place. The suspect’s mother had contacted police after her son reportedly ran away from home and was believed to be suicidal. Authorities also learned that weapons and the family vehicle were missing.
Police said concern grew when officers discovered the teen was dressed in camouflage and accompanied by another individual. Investigators immediately began tracking the suspects using surveillance technology, including automated license plate readers, while also alerting nearby schools and public places.